Many of us leave home in the morning forgetting that we are in a spiritual battle. It's no wonder we can become ovewhelmed or overcome by the trials and temptations we face. When you understand the idea of putting on the armor of God, it changes how you start your day; it strengthens your resolve to focus on and serve Jesus whole-heartedly no matter what comes your way.
These prayers can be used shortly after you wake up in the morning as a way to mindfully put on all of the armor of God. By doing so, you will be inviting the Holy Spirit to empower you, whom the Lord said he would send to be our help, comforter, and our strength.
Ephesians 6:10-18 says, "Put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything to stand….
- “Stand firm then with the Belt of Truth buckled around your waist... (Lord, please give me understanding of what is true and right in every situation I walk into today.)
- “With the Breastplate of Righteousness in place... (Lord, I thank You that I am loved by you and that you have washed my sin away and covered my doubt.)
- “And with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of Peace..... (Lord, remind me today to be open to what you want me to do; use my hands and feet and show me people you would have me do something for today.)
- “In addition to all this, take up the Shield of Faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one..... (Lord, I thank you that by faith in your power I can be protected from temptation and wrong desires today. Guide me and protect me. Keep me from temptation and increase my faith in You.)
- “Take up the Helmet of Salvation... (Lord, I celebrate the fact that I am your child!)
- “and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.... (Lord, give me the desire to read your Word. Help me not to just read it but to obey it as well.)
- “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.... (Lord, guide my day and gently remind me to bring my problems of the day to you as they arise.)
- “With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints....” (Lord, keep me alert and focused on you today for you are my hope! Amen.)