“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12
When I was a child, we’d play the game “Gossip.” It’s a whisper game passed from person to person until the last one in the circle, who then says out loud what they think they heard. Often, it is very different than what the first person whispered.
There is a great deal of whispers in the world today about what Christianity is and is not. Many people have heard about it second-hand. Misinterpretations can easily occur that way.
When you hear someone proclaiming what Christianity is all about, make sure you check to see if that is what God’s holy word states. Here are some ways:
- Pray over it and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to you.
- If you need help finding a passage that confirms or refutes their ideas, there are websites that have Bible passage and keyword searches.
- Many Bibles have study comments at the bottom of each page to let you know how scholars have interpreted the passages.
- You can ask a trusted pastor for help.
- You can email a mentor at Power to Change for free.
Get the truth from someone who knows, through study and prayer, the One who spoke it first. Show someone else where to find the truth so they don’t turn the gospel into gossip.
Dear Father in Heaven, there are so many interpretations of what your Son is, or was or can be. There are so many rules and traditions slapped on to faith as conditions of Your mercy and grace. There are so many falsehoods being spread about your good news. Teach us to always go to the source—Your word—for confirmation of Your will and Your ways. We pray this through Jesus, who is the truth and the way. Amen.
What is one question you have about the faith? Share your question in the comments and we can help each other find the answers.