Susan slipped in quietly. It had been awhile. As the bread and wine were passed she felt herself relax. She began to remember just how important her faith really was to her. The dust of everyday living began to wash off her soul.
Jesus knew we would need to be reminded. He gave us this celebration to draw us back when we find ourselves dry, living with divided hearts, powerless and defeated, trying to pour from an empty cup.
This celebration has different names ― the Lord’s Table, The Lord’s Supper, Holy Communion, The Eucharist, The Body of Christ. Yet the message remains the same: remember and proclaim the triumph of Jesus’ death and resurrection that echoes down through the centuries to us. Proclaiming the truth of what it means in our lives today is powerful in the spiritual realm. These are some of the truths we celebrate:
- I proclaim I am forgiven! Thank you Lord! You know how I need you.
- I proclaim I am loved! Thank you Lord, that your love is unconditional.
- I proclaim I am cleansed! Thank you Lord, that my past is behind me.
- I proclaim that by God’s grace I have all that I need! Thank you Lord, for your underserved grace and mercy to help me in my times of need.
- I proclaim that the enemy of my soul was defeated at the cross of Christ! Thank you Lord, that you give resurrection power in my life to mount above my temptations and weaknesses.
Father God, amaze my heart today with the truth of these proclamations. Fill me with Your Spirit and let your resurrection power flow in new ways in my life. Help me to grow into all you have planned for me to be and do. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
Go Deeper — Do you really believe it? The very same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead is the same power that will be at work in your life as you believe and proclaim these truths. Print them and declare them out loud somewhere today as you let your heart be refreshed with forgiveness and wholeness. Fill your cup in remembering all He is … and let it overflow to others!