Here are some of the Bible passages that present the ideas found in the Have you Heard about Henry series of articles.
An Eternal Plan
The Bible tells us that Father, Son, and Spirit have existed from all eternity, sharing one perfect essence, so perfectly united that they are one Being.
- Romans 16:26-27: but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith — to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.
John 1:1-3: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
Hebrews 1:1-3: In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.
- Hebrews 9.14: How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
Three in One
Romans 8:9: You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.
Matthew 28.19: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
Before time and matter came to be (if we can use the word “before” to speak of a timeless existence), this triune God already foresaw every single detail of what would occur once he created the universe. And all would go according to his sovereign plan. This plan would clearly demonstrate the fullness and perfection of his Being; but it would require the occurrence of a temporary rebellion against his perfect will on one planet — ours.
- Ephesians 1:9-11: He made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment — to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.
And so, God created the universe.
- Colossians 1: 16-17: For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
He sovereignly allowed certain spiritual creatures to rebel against him because they would play a part in his plan.
Ephesians 6:11-12: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Ephesians 3:10-11: His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Then, after carefully preparing this world as an amazing home for us, he created human beings in his image, inviting them to multiply, fill this planet, and rule it under his guidance.
- Genesis 1:27-28: So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
Next: Why Do We Suffer and Die?
Do you have any questions, thoughts, or comments about what you have just read? Use the form below to send them to one of our mentors. It's free and confidential.